Thursday, November 6, 2014

Buying An Updated Home VS One That Could Use Some Remodeling

I'm in the middle of buying a home myself and it's always on my clients checklist as to whether to buy a home that is already updated, or do the work someday themselves.  And here's what I think, sometimes you can look at a home that has recently been remodeled and it seems appealing to just move in and do no work.  But sometimes these homes are, what I like to call "Lipstick on a pig".  Trust me when I say that granite counter tops and new floors does not improve a home that was not previously taken care of and well maintained.  So new counter tops and floors are going to mean nothing to an owner if they have to put holes into walls to fix bad wiring or rip up the shower since the plumbing is old and there is moisture in the wood underneath.  The thing is, any home can have an array of issues.  A home has many different parts that need to be taken care of and maintained throughout the years and even sometimes when they are, they can still go bad and you may not know till it's too late.  But I've seen many remodeled homes that look as if they've just tried to distract a buyer from really looking at the home and its condition...and it works. These can wind up being a real big money pit.  But if you have a home that is older and hasn't been remodeled, I personally feel that you may get a better idea of how the home itself was taken care of by looking at how the floors, counter tops and how other parts were maintained.  There is nothing that makes me more confident about a home purchase than looking at the condition of the carpet, and windows and bathtubs when they have been around for many years and seeing that they are still in great condition.  So, that is my thought for the week....and if you are looking to buy or sell a home, please consider me with your real estate needs.  I am always here for you. 
                                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment