Friday, November 14, 2014

I Help Buy and Sell Homes, Not Just Houses

I just heard someone that is having an emotional time selling their home, and I'm reminded of selling my first home.  We spent countless hours making a wine cellar area at the bottom of the staircase near the garage. We lived there when we got married and the house was filled with wedding dresses and photos.  We adopted our dog and that was her first home as well.  My husband and I brought our daughter home from the hospital there. We spent days painting and decorating her nursery which we thought was the most beautiful room ever.  And we sold the home to a young bachelor who would probably only appreciate the wine cellar. And the nursery will be painted over for a guest room or office, most likely.  And that closet downstairs will only hold coats for him and not the memory of our dog hiding in there the first day we brought her home.  But we were a growing family and needed to sell.  We moved into a rental since we wanted the next house we bought to be a long term home and we didn't know what our needs were at the time. I think moving into a rental made the sale a bit harder since I knew I wouldn't be able to personalize this new house the way I wanted.  But I reminded myself that the nursery we painted would someday be painted anyway with our daughter growing up and that my kids now have a nice yard they play around in now and we have great times here as well...cause this is where we live now and we are together.  And while we were out looking for a new home recently, my husband had a hard time looking at other people's houses and having it feel like home when it was obviously decorated with other people's things and family photos.  And I just had to remind him that paint and photos are just what hang on the walls and that a house is a home after you move in and start to make memories.  And as a realtor, I really try to let my clients know that I understand the ties that bind them to their home...cause it's never just a house.  And while my job is to get inspections done, and fill out mounts of paper work and help them understand the process, it's also my job to make it more than just transaction and also make it a move forward in their lives. So if you are out looking to buy a home, or thinking of selling yours, I am always here. 
                                                                           

                                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment