Thursday, August 29, 2013

Islands In Sherman Oaks

I don't know about you guys, but one of the reasons I love where I live and work has a lot to do with the selection of restaurants.  All these "ma and pa" places to eat out here are great. I love places like Miya sushi in Valley Village or Hayat's Kitchen in NoHo and Spumoni in Sherman Oaks.  Then, of course there are some smaller chains that are on my favorites list as well like Umami Burger and Lotería Mexican Grill, both in Studio City.  But you don't really find a lot of the big chain restaurants around here. But, right across from my office there is a beautiful building that is just finishing construction.  On the front of one of the entrances the sign for "Islands Restaurant" hangs there holding it's place in this new building. But I wonder how a chain like that will do here. I mean, when we go to visit the grandparents out in Palm Desert, this is where they always like to go.  And we always take them there and the average age of the clientele is about 70. Okay, I know that may have a lot to do with being in Palm Desert but that is just what my mind associates with Islands restaurant.  And we have a couple other big chains like Cheesecake Factory and El Torito but I always figured those places survived because of the lunch business people that go there.  So, I guess we will wait and see if the locals will venture out of their local watering holes and restaurants to Islands, or if they'll keep to what they know and like.

No comments:

Post a Comment