Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Get To Know Your Neighborhood

A couple years ago, someone I know asked me if I had hear of Nextdoor.com. At that time I had no idea what this was.  Fast forward to today and you will find me telling random people about it and recommending it to everyone. This is a site where someone in your neighborhood probably started your neighborhood's online area for all your neighbors to join. You have to be invited and/or be able to verify your address to be on it.  I started the one in my neighborhood when I first heard of this and now we have 40 neighbors that are on it.  Because I started my site, I have the right to monitor it and delete people's comments or profiles if I feel necessary (which has not happened since everyone on it is really great at posting appropriate things to the neighborhood). I don't recommend trying to solicit business on this site since this is not what it was intended for (no one in my neighborhood will ever hear me talk about real estate on the site)  It is a place where you can post things like garage sales, missing cats and dogs, babysitting opportunities and the crime or incidences on your street.  This is a great way to stay connected with neighbors all around you, and you never know when it could help you in a bind.  The more neighbors that join, the better the site.  Nextdoor.com has gone through a couple recent changes (some good, some not-so-good) but they have listened to the feedback and are making changes. My neighborhood recently had our local police force join in on the site and now they can post alerts and need-to-know things that pertain directly to us. So, if you haven't heard of this site, I highly recommend you check it out and join. It really is a good way to stay tuned into what is going on in your hood.And check out what 20/20 had to say about it too http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/nextdoor-social-network-connecting-neighbors-reinvents-neighborhood-watch/story?id=18470589 and here is a video from 20/20 about it as well. http://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/neighborhood-future-20325700

                                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment